LP Board Update -- February 2018
During its Regular Board Meeting held on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 the Board of Education accomplished the following items.
1. Approved the minutes of the January 17, 2018 Regular Meeting.
2. Student Ambassador Connor Cofoid presented to the Board.
3. Recognized ILMEA State Conference band and choir performers, Madelynn Anderson (French horn), Rachel Whaley, Joannah Cisneros, Jessica Znaniecki, Jenna Glassman, Makayla McPhedran, Anna Peters, Lily Pleskovitch, and Braeden Bend, and directors Kyle Adelmann and Aimee Taylor, and IHSA All-State Academic Team student-athlete Rachel Hickey.
4. Mr. Cherpeske presented Ms. Taylor with a program from a music performance.
5. Jen Plym and Kaitie Monahan spotlighted the Special Education and Math divisions, in particular using interactive notebooks in algebra essentials.
6. Received TIF disbursements of $8,172.78 (Tonica – TIF 5), $30.912.16 (Oglesby SuperValu TIF), $177,426.45 (Peru Revenue TIF), $46,233.84 (Peru Industrial Park TIF), $10,759.86 (Peru – North Peru TIF III), and $29,188.28 (North Utica TIF I & II).
7. Mr. Sparks presented the President’s Report, reflecting on the recent tragedy in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida and security measures in place at LPHS.
8. Dr. Meier presented the Finance Committee Report.
9. Mr. Wrobleski presented the Superintendent’s Report, sharing information on potential student campaigns/demonstrations to voice concerns on gun violence and counseling efforts to enroll students for next school year.
10. Mrs. Jeanblanc presented the Principal’s Report, sharing information on the recent push to remind students, faculty, and staff to wear their IDs every day, maintaining the Developmental Assets training effort, recognizing Abhi Patel and Charmi Patel at the annual John Ourth Awards, and the upcoming high scholarship recognition night.
11. Mr. Parker presented the Director of Athletics & Activities Report, sharing information on recent athletic accomplishments and upcoming student activity events.
12. Mr. Mentgen presented the ACC/SRAVTE Director’s report, sharing information on enrollment in the ACC for next school year, the IVEO program successfully raising funds for the ACC scholarship program, and researching a solar panel initiative.
13. Mr. Baker presented the Director of Communication & Fundraising report, sharing information on Renovation-related communication activities, the upcoming Board Coffee Talk, and planning the next Family Ambassadors meeting.
14. Approved Statement of Completion and Occupancy Permit Application for Bid #13 Interior Renovations Phase 3 (LPHS Renovation Project).
15. Approved a Building Permit Application for Bid Release #14 Interior Renovations Phase 4 (LPHS Renovation Project).
16. Approved submitting the following health/life safety amendments for 2018 Summer Work for a total of $1,591,215.60
i. Main Building Amendment #73 – $1,193,928
ii. East Gym/Industrial Ed Building Amendment #14 – $127,850.00
iii. Dolan Building Amendment #7 – $1,305.00
iv. Auto Shop Amendment #6 –$2,930.00
v. Contingency – $132,601.30
vi. A/E Fees – $132,601.30
17. Approved the following LPHS Renovations Project Change Orders:
i. #50 – MDF Room Additional Fire Alarm Work – $2,900.00
ii. #51 – Auditorium Mezzanine Revised Fan Coil Configuration – Credit for $1,760.00
iii. #52 – Auditorium Mezzanine Revised Fan Coil Configuration – Credit for $944.00
iv. #53 – Phase 3 Toilet Room 314.2 Modifications – Credit for $355.00
v. #54 – Auditorium North Wall Infill – $30,458.00
vi. #55 – Room 331 Exterior Tuckpointing and Repairs – $5,442.00
vii. #56 – Phase 2 Technology Chases and Window Repairs – $28,679.00
viii. #57 – Remove and Re-install Auditorium Drapery – $3,344.00
ix. #58 – IVEO Casework Additions – $4,709.00
x. #59 – Phase 2 Solid Surface Sill Revisions – $7,735.00
xi. #60 – Room 329 Existing Casework Repairs – $3,655.00
xii. #61 – Phase 2 Interior Glazing Revisions – $2,830.00
xiii. #62 – Phase 3 Roofing – $1,380.00
xiv. #63 – Phase 2 Resource Room and Storage Room – $3,390.00
xv. #64 – Boiler House Coiling Door – Tooth in Masonry – $7,850.00
18. Approved extending lease agreement with Innovative Modular Solutions (mobile classrooms) from June 1 through August 31, 2018 for $5,898.00
19. Approved Gorenz and Associates to provide LPHS audit services for FY19
20. Approved Gorenz and Associates to provide LP-Area Career Center audit services for Fiscal Year ’19.
21. Approved the 2018-2019 District Calendar.
22. Approved the following resignations:
i. Mr. Mike Schmidt, Volunteer Assistant Freshman Football Coach, effective February 22, 2018
ii. Mrs. Juliana Dzurisin, ACC Health Occupations Teacher, effective January 30, 2018
iii. Mr. Nick Passini, Volunteer Assistant Baseball Coach, effective February 22, 2018
iv. Mr. Terry Pytel, Head Girls Bowling Coach, effective the conclusion of the 2017-2018 school year
23. Approved the following appointments:
i. Mr. Bob Stubler, Volunteer Assistant Bowling Coach for the 2018-2019 school year
ii. Mrs. Stephanie Mickley, ACC Occupational Health Teacher, for the remainder of the 2017-2018 school year, effective January 31, 2018 (replaces Mrs. Juliana Dzurisin)
iii. Mrs. Nicole Hurst, Student Aide Paraprofessional (new position per IEP), effective March 5, 2018
iv. Mr. Mark Nowakowski, Teacher Aide Paraprofessional (replaces Mrs. Annette Crane), for the 2018-2019 school year
v. Ms. Vanessa Nikischer, Teacher Aide Paraprofessional (replaces Mrs. Jane Gregorich), for the 2018-2019 school year
24. Approved Maternity Leave for Mrs. Abigail Goy (Special Ed. Teacher) on or about September 10, 2018 and returning on or about October 17, 2018, and will be using her accumulated sick days.
25. Approved amending Mr. Joseph Bruner’s retirement date from June 16, 2019 to the conclusion of the 2018-2019 school year.
26. Accepted with regret the retirement of Mr. Edward Yoder (Science Teacher) effective the conclusion of the 2022-2023 school year.
27. Approved and retained the Executive Closed Session minutes for the January 17, 2018 Regular Board Meeting.
28. Approved recommended discipline for Student #4, transfer to Safe Schools.
29. Approved the appointment of Mr. Patrick Goy, Physical Education/Health/Drivers Education teacher, for the 2018-2019 school year (replaces Mr. Terry Pytel).
30. Approved an Intergovernmental Agreement to share property appraisal review and legal fee costs regarding Eureka Savings Bank.