8.80 Gifts to the District
Gifts to the District
The School Board appreciates gifts from any education foundation, other entities, or individuals. All gifts must adhere to each of the following:
1. Be accepted by the Board or, if less than $500.00 in value, the Superintendent or designee. Individuals should obtain a pre-acceptance commitment before identifying the District, any school, or school program or activity as a beneficiary in any fundraising attempt, including without limitation, any Internet fundraising attempt.
2. Be given without a stated purpose or with a purpose deemed by the party with authority to accept the gift to be compatible with the Board’s educational objectives and policies.
3. Be consistent with the District’s mandate to provide equal educational and extracurricular opportunities to all students in the District as provided in Board policy 7:10, Equal Educational Opportunities. State and federal laws require the District to provide equal treatment for members of both sexes to educational programing, extracurricular activities, and athletics. This includes the distribution of athletic benefits and opportunities.
4. Permit the District to maintain resource equity among its learning centers.
5. Be viewpoint neutral. The Superintendent or designee shall manage a process for the review and approval of donations involving the incorporation of messages into or placing messages upon school property.
6. Comply with all laws applicable to the District including, without limitation, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Prevailing Wage Act, the Health/Life Safety Code for Public Schools, and all applicable procurement and bidding requirements.
The District will provide equal treatment to all individuals and entities seeking to donate money or a gift. Upon acceptance, all gifts become the District’s property. The acceptance of a gift is not an endorsement by the Board, District, or school of any product, service, activity, or program. The method of recognition is determined by the party accepting the gift.
LEGAL REF.: 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., Title IX of the Education Amendments implemented by 34 C.F.R. Part 106.
105 ILCS 5/16-1.
23 Ill.Admin.Code §200.40.
CROSS REF.: 4:60 (Purchases and Contracts), 4:150 (Facility Management and Building Programs), 6:10 (Educational Philosophy and Objectives), 6:210 (Instructional Materials), 7:10 (Equal Educational Opportunities)
ADOPTED: May 14, 1997
REVISED: June 10, 1998 September 22, 2010 October 21, 2015 July 15, 2020