5.150 Personnel Records
The Superintendent or designee shall manage the maintenance of personnel records in accordance with State and federal law and School Board policy. Records, as determined by the Superintendent, are retained for all employment applicants, employees, and former employees given the need for the District to document employment-related decisions, evaluate program and staff effectiveness, and comply with government recordkeeping and reporting requirements. Personnel records shall be maintained in the District’s administrative office, under the Superintendent’s direct supervision.
Access to personnel records is available as follows:
1. An employee will be given access to his or her personnel records according to State law and guidelines developed by the Superintendent.
2. An employee’s supervisor or other management employee who has an employment or business-related reason to inspect the record is authorized to have access.
3. Anyone having the respective employee’s written consent may have access.
4. Access will be granted to anyone authorized by State or federal law to have access.
5. All other requests for access to personnel information are governed by Board policy 2:250, Access to District Public Records.
The Superintendent or designee shall manage a process for responding to inquiries by a prospective employer concerning a current or former employee’s job performance. The Superintendent shall execute the requirements in the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act whenever another school district asks for a reference concerning an applicant who is or was a District employee and was the subject of a report made by a District employee to DCFS.
When requested for information about an employee by an entity other than a prospective employer, the District will only confirm position and employment dates unless the employee has submitted a written request to the Superintendent or designee.
LEGAL REF.: 325 ILCS 5/4, Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act.
745 ILCS 46/10, Employment Record Disclosure Act.
820 ILCS 40/, Personal Record Review Act.
23 Ill.Admin.Code §1.660.
CROSS REF.: 2:250 (Access to District Public Records), 7:340 (Student Records)
ADOPTED: May 14, 1997
REVISED: October 18, 2006 January 21, 2009 April 20, 2011 December 18, 2019 July 15, 2020