Article I - Name
The name of this organization shall be LaSalle-Peru Township High School Student Council, henceforth to be referred to as Student Council.
Article II - Purpose
The purpose of Student Council shall be to serve the student body of LaSalle-Peru Township High School, voice student opinions to the administration, to train students in leadership, and to aid other school organizations.
Article III - Powers Vested in Student Council
Student Council shall have the authority to relay the opinions and needs of the students to the school administration. Student Council shall be empowered to meet and to raise all funds for its activities.
Article IV - Membership
The membership of Student Council shall consist of the General Assembly. Membership in the General Assembly shall be limited to students currently enrolled in LaSalle-Peru Township High School. Student Council shall not be empowered to deny membership on the basis of sex, race, creed, or year in school.
Article V - Nomination and Election of Officers
Election of candidates for the executive offices of President and Vice-President shall take place during the fourth quarter of the academic year. Candidates will be elected by the student body of LaSalle-Peru Township High School. Candidates must be active members of the Student Council for at least 2 years.
Election of candidates for the executive offices of Secretary, Historian, Junior Sergeant at Arms, and Sophomore Sergeant at Arms shall take place during the fourth quarter of the academic year or during the summer meetings. Candidates must be active members for at least one year. Voters shall be limited to active members of Student Council. The candidate receiving the highest number of votes shall be installed in the office for which he has run. In the event that an office remains open, the Executive Board has the authority to appoint a Student Council member to that position. Installation of the next Executive Board shall take place prior to the beginning of the first quarter of the next academic year.
Article VI - Duties and Responsibilities
Section 1: Student Council
Student Council shall have the responsibility of fulfilling the purpose defined in Article II.
Section 2: Executive Board
The Executive Board of Student Council shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Historian, Junior Sergeant at Arms, Sophomore Sergeant at Arms, Freshman Sergeant at Arms, and the Advisor. Each office shall serve as an ex-officio member of every committee of Student Council. Executive Board members shall uphold the standards of Student Council at all school functions. Each Executive Board member shall serve as an example of proper behavior for the other Student Council members. See Appendix C for Executive Board Responsibilities.
Section 3: Committee Chairperson(s)
Chairperson(s) of all committees shall be chosen by the Executive Board. Chairperson(s) shall submit reports of meetings and attendance records to the Vice President, and reporter. He/she shall also call and preside at committee meetings and see that committee goals and purposes are met.
Section 4: Members
Members of the General Assembly shall serve on at least one standing committee. Members shall also fulfill the requirements defined in Appendix A.
Section 5: President
The President shall encourage, teach, and guide council members so that the goals of the council can be met. He/she shall schedule regular (once a month) meetings of cabinet meetings, schedule regular (weekly first semester, bi-weekly second semester) meetings of the entire council, and preside at all cabinet and council meetings. He/she shall establish regular contact with all committees to be sure that they are completing tasks in a timely matter and act as a tie breaker for all committees. He/she shall be a liaison with administration, staff, and community. He/she shall write and submit a monthly report to the principal, superintendent, and board members on the state of the council. He/she shall maintain close and regular communication with the council advisor.
Section 6: Vice-President
The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President during any absence of the President, succeed the President in the case of a vacancy, and undertake any duties delegated to him/her by the President.
Section 7: Secretary
The Secretary shall take minutes of all official meetings of the Student Council, keep a written record of all proceedings of the Student Council, handle all correspondence for the Council, and keep and check attendance of all members.
Section 8: Historian
The Historian shall arrange for pictures to be taken at all student council projects, write up each project or secure a write-up from the President or committee chair, collect souvenir materials from all projects, compile a scrapbook, and attend and participate in all executive board meetings.
Section 9: Sergeant at Arms
The Sergeant at Arms for each class shall Assist the secretary in the distribution of minutes, agendas, etc., assist in the counting of votes for during meetings, and attend and participate in all executive board meetings.
Article VII - Impeachment
Any officer may be removed from office if he has not fulfilled his duties or has damaged the effectiveness of the reputation of Student Council. Impeachment of an officer requires a petition signed by a majority of the members of LaSalle-Peru Township High School Student Council submitted to the Executive Board. An ad hoc committee shall then be formed to coordinate the impeachment proceedings. At a special session of the General Assembly, it shall be decided whether the officer's offenses warrant removal from the office. A two-thirds majority vote in favor of removal from office of the members present at the session shall be necessary to remove an officer from office.
Article VIII - Amendment
A three-fourths majority vote of those in attendance in favor of amendment shall be necessary to amend the constitution.
I - Meetings
Regular meetings of the General Assembly shall be held weekly. Special sessions may be called by a majority of the Executive Board. Committee meetings shall be held at the discretion of the committee chairperson(s).
III - Committees
Section 1: Standing Committees
Standing Committees shall be defined as committees that operate each and every year. Three standing committees shall be:
Community Service Committee
Spirit and Pride Committee
Section 2: Special Committees
Special Committees shall be defined as committees that operate once every year at a time prescribed by the Executive Board.
Section 3: Ad Hoc Committees
Ad Hoc committees may be formed by the Executive Board as the need arises.
IV - Filling of Vacated Offices
The Vice President shall assume the responsibilities of the President in the event that the President should vacate his/her office. In the event that an officer other than the President should vacate his/her office, a new officer shall be chosen by a simple majority of the General Assembly. Candidates for vacated offices shall be required to fulfill the same requirements as those of candidates running in the regular elections.
VI - Removal of Officers
Any elected officer may be removed from office by the advisor if he has not fulfilled his duties or has damaged the effectiveness or reputation of Student Council.
VII - Amendment of By-Laws
The By-Laws of the constitution may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the General Assembly in attendance.
Point Requirements for Student Council Members
1. Each member is required to have 20 points per quarter.
2. Members are put on probation if they do not get the required 20 points.
3. The cut-off for probation is seven points.
4. All points must be made up each quarter.
5. No Student Council member can be on probation two quarters in a row.
6. Student Council members must be in attendance at Homecoming set-ups.
7. Each member not in attendance must submit a written excuse for advisor approval.
8. Each Student Council member must join a standing committee and attend a majority of its meetings.
Criteria for Student Council Officer Candidates:
1. Candidates must presently have and maintain during their tenure in office at least a 2.0 grade point average.
2. Candidates must be available to work on Student Council activities before or after school.
3. The President and Vice President must be a junior or a senior during the school year in which they will serve.
4. The Secretary and Historian must be a sophomore, a junior, or a senior during the school year in which they will serve.
5. All candidates must be active members of the Student Council General Assembly for one year prior to the year that they will serve.
6. Candidates must familiarize themselves with the Student Council Constitution.
7. The criteria contract must be signed by both the candidate and his parent.
8. Candidates must have two teacher signatures in order to run for an office.
9. Candidates must schedule an individual conference meeting with the advisors prior to the election.
10. All candidates must submit a statement of purpose prior to election.
Executive Board Responsibilities
1. At least one Executive Board member must be present at every after school meeting.
2. Every officer must be a member of at least one standing committee.
3. Officers must be present at each dance set-up.
4. Each officer is expected to be in attendance at all major Student Council functions.
5. The Executive Board will be required to meet occasionally during the summer to plan for the upcoming school year.